Friday, June 14, 2013

Product Review: How Do We Know God is Really There? by Melissa Cain Travis and illustrated by Christopher Voss




Product at a glance:
What problem does this product solve: 
  • As parents, we fight a constant battle against the world for our children's hearts and souls. They have friends who spread falsehood, they hear beliefs at school that conflict with what they have been taught at home, maybe they even hear it at family members houses. This book can give parents a way to open a dialog with their children about their belief in God and their concerns or doubts. 
 _________________________________________________________

I know as an adult, I've questioned my faith and my belief in God on occasion. I don't remember doing so as a child, but if I had, I had a strong Christian grandma that would have had the exact answer to my disbelief. She knew the bible and was unwavering in her faith. I completely believe in God but I don't have that encyclopedic knowledge of the Bible that my Grandma did. I also have trouble starting that conversation with the kids. This little book gave me that opening with the kids. It's funny, my twelve-year-old has a very solid belief in God and rarely questions that belief. My nine-year-old is a little like her mother and does have questions and hears the negative things people say when they are non-believers. She really needed to have those conversations and this book helped us get them started. 

Thomas and his dad

What do I like about this book?

How Do We Know God Is Really There? by Melissa Cain Travis and illustrated by Christopher Voss is a sweet little picture book for kids and parents to share. The illustrations are simple and colorful and make the book very approachable. The story is about a dad and his son sharing a conversation about God in the context of studying the universe through a telescope. It's a sweet story and as I said before, it can really start a very important conversation between you and your kids. 


Some of the beautiful art from later in the book.

What would I change? 

I don't think I would change a thing. The book is well-written, beautifully illustrated, and well paced to keep the kids interested without getting them too excited (like at bed time). 


What did Mom and the kids think?

We loved sharing this book. It was sweet and thought provoking. I think that many of us feel like our kids share our belief in God because that is what we have always taught them. We live in denial about the impact that people from outside our family can have on those convictions that we feel are so completely ingrained. How Do We Know God is Really There? helped us to open the dialog about other things our kids have heard about God and his existence so that we can reinforce our values and our faith. It is a great tool to combat the Godlessness of the world that we are all confronted with every day.





#MosaicReviews
#FilledwithCrazy
#Howdoweknowgodisreallythere?
#MelissaCainTravis
#Homeschool




No comments:

Post a Comment